Before we move on to how you can become a physical therapist, let’s see what actually will you be required to do once you become a physiotherapist. Like every other profession, this one has certain demands that you need to fulfill.
Physical therapist, also known as ‘movement specialists’ analyze and treat a number of bodily ailments that affects the normal movements of the body. For example, orthopedists mostly suggest regular physical therapy to patients having osteoarthritis, back pain, rheumatoid arthritis, spinal pain, spinal stenosis, Parkinson’s disease and several other long term health problems.
The role of physical therapists differs according to their experience, position, specialization and most importantly the individual needs of the patients. However there are common functions that fall under the job description of every physiotherapist.
PTs all over the world are expected to know and perform the following tasks apart from their specialized job description.
– Assess the condition of the patient, diagnose and recommend appropriate treatment.
– Treat the patient using a range of techniques according to his/her condition. Some of the common physiotherapy techniques include joint manipulation, soft tissue mobilization, acupuncture, hydrotherapy and several other exercise programs
– PTs are required to know the appropriate and safe usage of treatment devices like ultrasound, electrotherapy, ice and heat packs.
– Train the patients on how to use movement aid devices such as walking frames, calipers, splints, crutches and wheelchairs.
– Teach patients exercises that they can perform on their own.
– Educate them on the prevention of bodily ailments and injuries.
– Develop an appropriate fitness program with the patient to prevent the loss of mobility
– Develop, implement and promote fitness and wellness programs for the community
And most importantly, keep the patient motivated and optimistic toward life.
Join My Newsletter
Receive special offers, discounts, information about new releases, and more from Christopher Wright! Also gain access to a community of like-minded people with a wealth of information.